As a part of the transition to Microsoft Outlook, many employees will be getting new LIU Email boxes. A number of folks have asked how we plan to use email and specifically the value of having an LIU (as compared to a generic web) email account. Dr. Clemens has made an organizational commitment to provide email to everyone in the LIU. We, the staff in technology services, are working diligently to provide this email account regardless of the staff memberís employment category, home division, or geographic location. E-mail will, as we move forward, provide a fast, low/no cost method for communication. Some of the characteristics/advantages of the LIU email account include:
- As an organization whose members all have the same email system, we have positive control of the email system and the related infrastructure. We can track mail to make sure it is delivered and available. Internet outages or downtime from an external organization will not affect our ability to communicate.
- A common system provides predictability. We know the mail systemís capability. We know the answers to questions such as the following.
- Will everyone be able to read the message?
- Can the users see the graphic and can they click on this Internet link?
- Will the mail system strip out my attachment?
- One system provides the opportunity to identify recurring individual and organizational needs. These trends are very important when planning future upgrades. As technology evolves, weíll be able to plan coordinated, future-focused communications strategies. All changes will be communicated and provided as part of an overall organizational change strategy.
- The LIU has installed filtering and virus protection capabilities on our email system. We are continuously testing various applications to perform these tasks. Other email systems, especially those that are provided free over the Internet, tend to offer a minimal package for free and charge for the full service. The LIU is continuously searching for better and more effective methods for securing our email system.
- The system weíve chosen for email has many features and is widely used. Outlook provides many capabilities other email providers canít. It offers a consistent interface (Outlook is part of the Microsoft Office suite of products) and numerous mail features such as SPAM filtering and mail management not found in generic web-based email systems.